Starting the morning off with breakfast is an absolute must for me. No matter how late I may be running, there is always time for an on the go breakfast. I also like to keep my breakfast the healthiest meal of the day (not that I indulge in fast food all the other times haha). I hope you feel inspired by these simple breakfast go-to ideas and incorporate these healthy ingredients in your routines.
To those of you whom don’t like breakfast, here are some benefits that I’m hoping might get you to consider having a light snack in the morning.
- More energy means more strength to conquer workouts
- Concentration and creativity levels increase in the morning
- Improve your cognition in relation to memory with breakfast
- Lowers the chance for heart decease and diabetes
#1 Yogurt Parfait
Recently, I have noticed that breakfast smoothies with fruit have been the thing. As I detest using my at home blender unless I have committed to making smoothies for the whole family, I prefer yogurt instead. Add a cup of yogourt and mix in dried fruits, cranberries, walnuts etc. It tastes heavenly.
Benefits of yogurt:
- Yogurt is rich in vitamin D and calcium
- Use it as a face mask as it contains lactic acid, smoothes skin (wink wink)
- Perfect snack after a workout
#2 Waffles and Fruit
I like to indulge on either home made waffles or store bought and spice them up by adding almond butter on top, with a mixture of fruit. Although waffles may not be the healthiest option in the morning, it is definitely justified in my mind with a load of cut up fruits. My favourite combinations are blue berries, bananas, and mango.
- Banana benefits: rich in potassium, perfect before workout snack, lowers blood pressure
- Blue berries: fiber lowers cholesterol, rich in folate, vitamin C
- Mango: clears skin, lowers cholesterol
When I saw this recipe in a video, I knew I had to give it a try. These pancakes turned out to be amazing. To be honest, I actually prefer them over the traditional pancake recipe and I have peace of mind because this is a healthy alternative. You can find the recipe in this video (its the first one). They also are a lot quicker to make.
Something that I really want to try incorporating in my meals are chia and flex seeds. I am looking into purchasing a package of each and adding them on top of whatever I am munching on, especially smoothies and the yogurt parfait.
I hope you enjoyed this post and found the ideas interesting. Let me know what you like to have for breakfast as I am always looking to try something new.